Monday 7 September 2009

Back again in Floral Park

I'm back again in Floral Park. Many say that this weekend marks the passage of summer to fall, and the weather seems to support that: it has been mostly sunny yet cool these last few days. Obviously, the actual date has little scientific basis, for the equinox is still 15 days away.

Friday saw me catch some re-runs of old episodes of Monk. I'm excited about the final season and the real story behind Trudy's murder. I just feel that some of the new episodes do not compare to the old ones, mostly regarding the quality of the mystery plot and the richness of characterization.

A great community resource here in Floral Park is the Centennial Gardens. Every Saturday morning, I, along with other volunteers, help out with gardening. It is a great opportunity to meet new people, and this weekend, several students my age were there doing community service. Too bad we mostly did weeding, although the fall season offers mostly uninteresting work (besides harvesting those grown tomatoes and peppers!)

We are midway through the US Open, which continues to be captivating. I too am surprised at the vast gap in quality between the top of the men's and the women's games. The women just cannot serve, period. You can see the result in the discrepancy between the numbers of top seeds already fallen. It will be interesting to see how the two draws unfold. I do not see anyone but Serena win the women's but Roger is close to but not exactly the sure thing on the men's.

No comments: