Sunday 16 June 2013

Taking Stock of Personal Responsibility

As I was growing up, I had a set path for going through school and college. Part of that was my parents, who brought me up in a supportive but somewhat coddled environment - study hard and the rest will take of itself. But I realize that this is not true - many aspects of growing up, such as finances, career choices, and relationships do not take care of themselves. The education system is grossly inadequate for preparing young adults for this challenging yet important part of our lives, and I felt that my family and background also did not do so. These last few years, going through two schoolings and arriving into my professional life, have given me more chances to take more responsibility for my choices and actions, and I expect myself to know more about the challenges of going through life and owning up to my choices and actions.

Personal responsibility can be politically dangerous, and is often associated with Republicans and/or Libertarians' agenda in disguise. But it should not be. It is more important than ever in these uncertain economic times, when young adults face an uncertain future for ourselves and our nation. Personal responsibility built our nation and its people from the beginning, and will continue to do so in the future. For me, it means taking more ownership for my actions, whether they be related to career, health, finances, love, and relationships. My parents, with deepest gratitude for them on this Father's Day, cannot guide me through my life henceforth - I must do so myself, for better or for worse. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BtqElO1OX4
http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMjA4MDU2NjQ=.html

No comments: