Sunday 14 February 2010

New Year's Resolutions (or the sort)

Another year - the tiger's - brings more challenges and more opportunities. Rather than list resolutions, which I like most others am apt to break, I believe it is better to list general principles that I will strive for and maintain every day:

1. Resolution: aim to finish whatever tasks or projects I start, however large (especially) and small

2. Completion: consider no project or study finished unless done to the best of my ability

3. Engagement: be knowledgeable of a variety of issues, especially current affairs in law, government and the economy

4. Honesty: think and act truthfully, truthfully and nothing but truthfully

5. Development: solidify skills that are of practical use and benefit for my future career

6. Openness: welcome a variety of views and practices, however foreign

7. Criticism: analyze and question new views and old, to search for truth in the 'marketplace of ideas'

8. Humility: remain humble in speech and actions, before persons superior and inferior

9. Examination: reflect weekly, believing that a 'more perfect' person is always possible

There, nine short yet meaningful promises for the upcoming year. They are not resolutions, but act as such. I chose nine because of its good luck (meaning long life in Chinese - that's the extent of my superstitious beliefs), and because it leaves the sense that the list is unfinished; that one more is missing...

No comments: