Sunday 17 October 2010

A colorful weekend's worth of thoughts

I went to Famous Pub on Saturday night to watch the Phillies and Giants. Having no affinity for either, I followed the game solely because of the terrific pitching matchup, Roy Halladay versus Tim Lincecum. The game turned out to be a semi-classic pitchers' duel, where Lincecum edged Halladay. More important, I enjoyed the atmosphere at Famous. The servers were fun and affable people, and I did partake of a long night's banter with another patron who was celebrating her ??? birthday. I tried laying my tab on my buddy and someone else but it didn't work.

This morning I went to hear the Dalai Lama speak about teaching and practicing compassion. Perhaps because of the acoustics or the language barrier, I did not understand most of what he said. He did convey pieces of advice about compassion and how to live a good life. I will take that to heart and I hope have time to learn more about him and his message. As for my question to him, "How can students learn about compassion, besides asking our professors for a higher grade?", his answer gave me much to think about.

This afternoon I returned to Chukkar Farm to watch the US-Sweden polo invitational. Maybe I am already a VIP but the organizers did not charge me any fees for parking or admission. The match was a tight and tactical battle, which the US team, actually the local polo club, edged the Swedish visitors by 6 goals to 4. Today's weather was perfect for an afternoon of polo and a drive in the countryside. Georgia's fall foliage is a few weeks behind the Northeast's, but I think will be equally spectacular.

No comments: